Beef Stroganoff with Smashed Pea and Spinach Orecchiette
Recipe by Blue Bay Cheese
1 heaped tbsp pork lard
400g rump steak, extra thinly sliced into ribbon-like strips (Tip: Visit Otway Prime)
½ brown onion, finely diced
1 small clove garlic, peeled and finely diced
6 small Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp Blue Bay Kefir
1 tbsp Blue Bay Light Sour Cream
1 tbsp Vegeta gourmet stock powder
500ml warm water
1 slice quality dark rye bread (e.g. from 2 Castles Bakery), roughly chopped into small cubes
Salt and cracked black pepper
Chopped continental parsley leaves and extra Blue Bay Kefir to serve
1. In a large frying pan, over medium heat add the pork lard and cook until melted.
2. Add the beef ribbons and stir well. Cook until meat begins to colour slightly.
3. Add the diced onion, garlic and Swiss brown mushrooms, stir until well combined.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the cooked meat and mushrooms and continue to stir.
5. Add the bread cubes to the pan.
6. In a large jug add kefir, sour cream, stock powder and warm water, stir well.
7. Slowly pour the kefir mixture into the pan while stirring the meat and mushrooms.
8. Season with salt and cracked pepper, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
9. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring at intervals to prevent flour sticking to the pan.
10. Remove from heat. The Stroganoff should be richly coloured and thickened.
Smashed Pea and Spinach Orecchiette
2 heaped tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup green peas
1 cup picked spinach leaves
2 cup cooked orecchiette (refer to cooking instruction on packaging)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large frying pan, over a medium heat, add butter and cook until melted.
2. Add the peas and gently toss through the melted butter.
3. Once cooked, use the back of a fork to smash the peas.
4. Add the cooked orecchiette to the pan and stir through the smashed peas.
5. Add spinach leaves and continue to cook until the leaves have wilted.
6. Season to taste.
In a bowl place two heaped serving spoons of smashed pea and spinach orecchiette and two heaped serving spoons of beef Stroganoff. Garnish with chopped parsley leaves and a generous dollop of Blue Bay Kefir.